Old Boys Weekend Round-Up

Last updated : 11 January 2009 By Paul Neat

Old Boys Weekend Round-Up

Our first old boys round-up of the New Year starts at Goodison Park where David Moyes' Everton enjoyed a comfortable 2-0 win over Hull. First half goals from Fellaini and Arteta were enough to seal the points for the Toffees. Carlo Nash was an unused substitute for Everton.

At the Riverside Stadium, David Healy was introduced late in the second half for Sunderland who were searching for an equaliser. The former Manchester United trainee was unable to add to his solitary goal in Sunderland colours but did manage to provide an assist for Kenwyne Jones' equaliser in the 82nd minute to earn themselves a point.

Andrew Carroll, sporting his new hair-do, salvaged a point for the Toon Army by netting his first Premier League goal, against cash strapped West Ham. Despite Michael Owen putting the Toon ahead, the home side found themselves 2-1 and reliant upon 20-year-old Carroll to net the equaliser with little over ten minutes to go.

With Ricardo Fuller suspended following his on-field spat with club captain Andy Griffin, the number of former North Enders was limited to just two at the Britannia Stadium. Stoke took on Preston's last opponents Liverpool with Richard Cresswell at the forefront of the Potters forward line. The home side earned themselves a valuable point whilst at the same time frustrating Liverpool during a 0-0 draw. Danny Pugh was introduced as a late substitute to replace Dave Kitson.

To conclude our round-up of the Premier League, striker Craig Beattie was an unused substitute for West Brom's 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa at Villa Park as was Kevin Kilbane for Wigan's 1-0 win over Spurs on Sunday at the JJB Stadium.

In the Championship, Southampton picked up three precious points away at Oakwell by beating Simon Davey's Barnsley. A David McGoldrick goal after 76 minutes was enough to seal the win for struggling Southampton who, after Saturday's result, nearly have their heads above water. Jon Macken was in from the start for the Tykes but was unable to pose a threat to Kelvin Davis' goal.

During Saturday evening's kick-off, hoping to get back on track after the heavy defeat to Spurs in midweek, Burnley's week didn't get any better by going down to a 2-0 defeat at home to Swansea. A brace from Jason Scotland, including a controversial penalty, was enough to grab all three points for the South Wales outfit. Graham Alexander slotted back in at his more familiar right full-back position and skippered the side who have the second leg with Tottenham to look forward to before a trip to Deepdale on Saturday.

Billy Davies, in his first game in charge of Nottingham Forest, lead his new side to an important and impressive victory against the hapless Charlton Athletic. A goal each in the first half from Tyson and Earnshaw had the game wrapped up before the interval.

Tommy Miller was in from the start before later being substituted during Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday at Portman Road on Saturday. With 12 minutes to go, Miller was taken off and replaced by Garvan with the score tied at 1-1.

Meanwhile, Matthew Hill had to make do with a place amongst the substitutes for the visit of his former Preston teammates. One man facing his former team did manage to get himself a place in the starting line-up was Stephen Elliott who managed to bag himself a brace, showing his former employers just exactly what they are missing. Preston won the game 3-1.

To conclude our round-up of the Championship, Tamas Priskin played the full ninety minutes for Watford during their emphatic 4-0 defeat to a rampant Reading side on Friday evening.

Due to the cold weather, all but three League One fixtures were called off over the course of the weekend hereby preventing any former Lilywhites from appearing. As there were no former Preston North End players were involved, we shall bypass League One and head straight to League Two where just one team featured any former Preston players.

That team was Exeter City who has strikers Marcus Stewart and Steve Basham in their arsenal. Marcus Stewart converted a 78th minute penalty for Exeter only to see Facey and Strachan for Notts County put City on the back foot almost immediately. The score remained 2-1 despite Basham coming on late in the second-half.