Goalless Draw At Stoke

Last updated : 17 April 2021 By @pnemad

North End stuck with three at the back although Van den Berg slipped into the back three. Barkhuizen played the right wing back role witth the returning Cunningham on the left.

It was a strange game with Stoke safe in midtable and Preston needing another couple of points to be sure of securing Championship status. The sun was out and at times it seemed like a very tame affair befitting of an end of season game.

The home side had the better of the fist half. They found gaps behind the Preston wing backs which were exploited. Iversen was called on twice to make saves and there were other opportunities when the home side loked dangerous.

Evans had the ball in the net but was ruled offside and this was about Preston's only real threat in the first half. Thankfully, Preston were sharper in the second half.

After the break Barkhuizen got forward more giving Preston an attacking threat. Evans headed over and Preston were on the front foot. Hughes hit a free kick against the post and North End became more adventurous.

Souttar for the home side headed close from a corner when he should have done better. Clucas was lucky to stay on for Stoke commiting numerous fouls throughout the game. He was booked for a handball and could have received a second for throwing the ball away.

Barkhuizen had another shot from range but the game had some late drama. Substitute Maguire played through Browne who was brought down by Souttar outside the box. The defender was shown the red card with less than five minutes remaining.

Browne was put through again but took a shot on first time which went wide when he had time and space to do better. The game ended goalless and Preston inched towards the magical 50 point total.

The aim for the interim manager was to get Preston to safety. He has done this by trying to solidify the Defence with three centre backs. This does compromise any attacking ability but it is doing the job that is needed at present.