Raining Goals At Deepdale

Last updated : 30 September 2019 By Ob790

After a fairly lifeless and dull encounter against Birmingham City it has been goals galore since Preston returned to Deepdale. In midweek Preston conceded three goals in the first half to Premier League Champions, Manchester City, as they exited the League Cup.

On Saturday North End were involved in a thriller against Bristol City which was affected by the adverse weather conditions and some debateable refereeing decisions.

There were flood warnings in place around the River Ribble and there was a deluge from the heavens for the best part of ninety minutes as Deepdale was drenched.

The game was entertaining helped by the style of the visitors who were open and attacking with no intent to sit back even when they had an established lead.

The visitors had the best of the first ten minutes creating chances but they could not convert. Preston came back into the game and looked in control. The final pass or touch just let Preston down on a number of occassions when there was a clear path to goal.  

A mistake at the back led to a Bristol City corner and they converted somewhat against the run of play although there was some controvery over the goal.

The corner was swung in and Rudd went to claim. He appeared to try and pull the ball into his chest but failed. As he lost control an attacking player backed into him and the ball was left for Moore to score from close range. It was arguable as to whether Rudd had been fouled although he should have done better to claim the ball.

The lead was then doubled from another corner. The ball was swung in and it appeared this time that an attacking player pushed both Johnson and Rudd meaning the latter could not get to the ball as Weimann flicked home. On this occasion it did look more of a foul and a number of players protested as the referee did nothing.

North End were back in the game just before the break. Johnson had been quiet throughout but the ball fell into his path in the box. He went to shoot but his foot was taken from underneath him and a penalty awarded.

Gallagher converted the spot kick which went below the keeper and Preston had reduced the arrears by half time. Shortly after the break they were level.

A right wing cross was blocked by the outstretched arm of a defender. The referee awarded another penaly and this time Johnson converted to level the scores.

Bristol City made changes. They soon thought they had retaken the lead but an attacker who converted a parried shot was deemed to be offside.

Soon after the visitors did take the lead as Moore coverted inside the box as Rudd appeared to be wrong footed. North End made changes themselves but Baeur headed home at the far post to give Preston a deserved equaliser.

The visitors had one more effort ruled out for what was a clear push and both managers had grievances at full time over the refereeing decisions throughout the match.

North End missed the opportunity to top the table but remain in the top few at this early stage of the season. They travel to a troubled Middlesbrough on Tuesday before facing Barnsley at home on Saturday.