Preston 2-1 Charlton- Match Report

Preston can harbour play-off hopes after Charlton winPreston earned a fourth successive Championship win with a 2-1 victory over 10-man Charlton at Deepdale to maintain their potential play-off push.Joe Garner and Callum Robinson netted for the hosts and while Johann Berg Gudmundsson scored for Charlton, they had Harry Lennon sent off late on as their survival hopes took yet another hit.The visitors had an early opportunity when a floated free-kick from the left found an unmarked Roger Johnson, but his tame header from 12 yards was comfortably held by Anders Lindegaard.A terrific passing move on the edge of the area from Preston after 15 minutes released Greg Cunningham down the left, whose cross was inch-perfect for Alan Browne but the midfielder couldn't keep his header from 12 yards on target.Charlton, who have now won just one of their last 16 games, broke down the other end two minutes later and Chris Solly teed up Gudmundsson but his left-footed strike from 20 yards was kept out by Lindegaard low to his left.The Deepdale crowd were urging more from their team after a sluggish start and almost got a response on 32 minutes, but Calum Woods' flicked header from Tom Clarke's cross dropped wide of the far post.But the Lilywhites did take the lead three minutes later when Paul Gallagher's corner found Garner at the near post and the striker headed home his second in two games - having previously hit just three all season.That lead though lasted just two minutes as Charlton scored their first goal in four games when Gudmundsson drilled the ball into the bottom left-hand corner from 20 yards.Preston changed system at half-time as forward Robinson replaced centre-back Bailey Wright, and the substitution almost had an immediate impact but his shot from 30 yards was just over the bar.Charlton were displaying a confidence that belied their status propping up the Championship as Jorge Teixeira dribbled forward after 50 minutes before Ademola Lookman chipped the ball just wide of the far post.But the Addicks have the Championship's leakiest defence and the hosts profited in the 52nd minute as Adam Reach cut in from the left and squared the ball to the unmarked Robinson who fired home from 12 yards to restore Preston's lead.Preston should have wrapped the game up after 72 minutes as Browne tried to round the keeper but the ball fell to Reach who slotted wide of the far post with the goal unguarded.Charlton's task became harder in the 74th minute when Lennon was sent off for appearing to raise an arm to Garner at a corner.And Reach should have extended the lead three minutes later but struck straight at Stephen Henderson when unmarked from 12 yards.Charlton threatened an equaliser in added time, but Yaya Sanogo fired wide from 12 yards as Preston earned their first double of the season

Source : PA

Source: PA